2017 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 18 - Criminal Code
Article 9 - Offenses Against Public Peace, Order, and Decency
Part 1 - Public Peace and Order
§ 18-9-115. Endangering public transportation and utility transmission
(1) A person commits endangering public transportation if such person:
(a) Tampers with a facility of public transportation with intent to cause any damage, malfunction, nonfunction, theft, or unauthorized removal of material which would result in the creation of a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury to anyone; or
(b) Stops or boards a public conveyance with the intent of committing a crime thereon; or
(c) On a public conveyance, knowingly threatens any operator, crew member, attendant, or passenger:
(I) With death or imminent serious bodily injury; or
(II) With a deadly weapon or with words or actions intended to induce belief that such person is armed with a deadly weapon; or
(d) On a public conveyance:
(I) Knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person; or
(II) With criminal negligence causes bodily injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon.
(1.5) A person commits endangering utility transmission if such person tampers with a facility of utility transmission with intent to cause any damage, malfunction, nonfunction, theft, or unauthorized removal of material which would:
(a) Interrupt performance of utility transmission; or
(b) Result in a creation of a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury to anyone.
(2) "Public" means offered or available to the public generally, either free or upon payment of a fare, fee, rate, or tariff, or offered or made available by a school or school district to pupils regularly enrolled in public or nonpublic schools in preschool through grade twelve.
(3) "Public conveyance" includes a passenger or freight train, airplane, bus, truck, car, boat, tramway, gondola, lift, elevator, escalator, or other device intended, designed, adapted, and used for the public carriage of persons or property.
(4) "Facility of public transportation" includes a public conveyance and any area, structure, or device which is designed, adapted, and used to support, guide, control, permit, or facilitate the movement, starting, stopping, takeoff, landing, or servicing of a public conveyance or the loading or unloading of passengers, freight, or goods.
(4.5) "Facility of utility transmission" includes any area, structure, or device that is designed, adopted, or used to support, guide, control, permit, or facilitate transmission of:
(a) Electrical energy in excess of thirty thousand volts; or
(b) Water, liquid fuel, or gaseous fuel by pipeline.
(5) Endangering public transportation or endangering utility transmission is a class 3 felony.