2017 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 11 - Financial Institutions
Article 103 - Organization and Corporate Functions
Part 5 - Directors and Officers
§ 11-103-501. Directors and officers
(1) The affairs of a state bank shall be managed by a board of directors, which shall exercise its powers and be responsible for the discharge of its duties. The number of directors, not fewer than three nor more than twenty-five, shall be as fixed by the bylaws, and the number so fixed shall be the board, regardless of vacancies. At least three-fourths of the directors shall be citizens of the United States, and a majority shall be residents of this state. A director need not own shares. No director may serve who has been convicted of fraud involving any financial institution or of a felony, but the banking board may waive this provision regarding a felony if it determines that the particular felony does not jeopardize the person's ability to act as a director. A director who is disqualified may be removed by the board of directors or by the banking board. No action taken by a director prior to his or her resignation or removal shall be subject to attack on the ground of his or her disqualification.
(2) Directors shall receive such reasonable compensation as the bylaws may prescribe and shall serve until their successors are elected and qualify.
(3) Directors shall be elected by the stockholders at the first meeting, and thereafter, at the annual meeting or at a special meeting called for the purpose. If the charter provides for cumulative voting, the votes of each share may be cast for one person or divided among two or more, as the stockholder may choose. The person (to the number of directors to be elected) having the largest number of votes shall be elected.
(4) The term of office of directors shall be one year. Vacancies may be filled by vote of the board of directors until the next meeting of the stockholders.
(5) A director may be removed by the stockholders at a meeting. Where cumulative voting for directors is provided in the charter, no director shall be removed unless the votes cast against a motion for his or her removal are less than the total number of shares outstanding divided by the number of authorized directors, but all of the directors shall be removed if a majority of the outstanding shares approves a motion for the removal of all.
(6) The officers designated by the bylaws shall be elected by the board of directors. A member of the board of directors shall be elected president. No officer shall be elected for a period longer than one year. No person may be employed as an officer of a state bank who has been convicted of fraud involving any financial institution or of a felony, but the banking board may waive this provision regarding a felony if it determines that the particular felony does not jeopardize the person's ability to act as an officer. An officer may be removed by the board of directors at any time, but removal shall not prejudice any rights that the officer may have to damages for breach of contract of employment, unless the officer falsely answered any question or made any material misstatement of facts relating to any matter leading to or constituting any inducement to such employment.