2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 8 - Labor and Industry
Labor Ii - Workers' Compensation and Related Provisions
Article 40 - General Provisions
Part 2 - Definitions
§ 8-40-201. Definitions
As used in articles 40 to 47 of this title, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Accident" means an unforeseen event occurring without the will or design of the person whose mere act causes it; an unexpected, unusual, or undesigned occurrence; or the effect of an unknown cause or, the cause, being known, an unprecedented consequence of it.
(2) "Accident", "injury", or "injuries" includes disability or death resulting from accident or occupational disease as defined in subsection (14) of this section.
(3) "Board" means the board of directors of Pinnacol Assurance.
(3.4) "Chief executive officer" means the chief executive officer of Pinnacol Assurance.
(3.6) "Claimant" means a person who either:
(a) Receives benefits under articles 40 to 47 of this title; or
(b) Has or asserts, in any administrative or judicial forum or in any communication with the director, the division, or an employer, insurer, or self-insured employer, a right to receive such benefits.
(4) "Division" means the division of workers' compensation in the department of labor and employment.
(5) "Director" means the director of the division of workers' compensation.
(6) "Employee" has the meaning set forth in section 8-40-202 and the scope of such term is set forth in section 8-40-301.
(7) "Employer" has the meaning set forth in section 8-40-203 and the scope of such term is set forth in section 8-40-302.
(8) "Employment" means any trade, occupation, job, position, or process of manufacture or any method of carrying on any trade, occupation, job, position, or process of manufacture in which any person may be engaged; except that it shall not include participation in a ridesharing arrangement, as defined in section 39-22-509 (1) (a) (II), C.R.S., and participation in such a ridesharing arrangement shall not affect the wages paid to or hours or conditions of employment of an employee; nor shall it include the employee's participation in a voluntary recreational activity or program, regardless of whether the employer promoted, sponsored, or supported the recreational activity or program.
(9) "Examiner" means one of the industrial claim appeals examiners appointed to the industrial claim appeals panel in the industrial claim appeals office.
(10) "Executive director" means the executive director of the department of labor and employment.
(11) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2002, p. 1882, § 27, effective July 1, 2002.)
(11.5) "Maximum medical improvement" means a point in time when any medically determinable physical or mental impairment as a result of injury has become stable and when no further treatment is reasonably expected to improve the condition. The requirement for future medical maintenance which will not significantly improve the condition or the possibility of improvement or deterioration resulting from the passage of time shall not affect a finding of maximum medical improvement. The possibility of improvement or deterioration resulting from the passage of time alone shall not affect a finding of maximum medical improvement.
(12) "Mediation" means a process through which parties involved in a dispute concerning matters arising under articles 40 to 47 of this title meet with a mediator to discuss such matter or matters, defining and articulating the issues and their positions on such issues, with a goal of resolving such dispute or disputes.
(13) "Mediator" means an individual who is trained to assist disputants in reaching a mutually acceptable resolution of their disputes through the identification and evaluation of alternatives.
(14) "Occupational disease" means a disease which results directly from the employment or the conditions under which work was performed, which can be seen to have followed as a natural incident of the work and as a result of the exposure occasioned by the nature of the employment, and which can be fairly traced to the employment as a proximate cause and which does not come from a hazard to which the worker would have been equally exposed outside of the employment.
(15) "Order" means and includes any decision, finding and award, direction, rule, regulation, or other determination arrived at by the director or an administrative law judge.
(15.5) "Overpayment" means money received by a claimant that exceeds the amount that should have been paid, or which the claimant was not entitled to receive, or which results in duplicate benefits because of offsets that reduce disability or death benefits payable under said articles. For an overpayment to result, it is not necessary that the overpayment exist at the time the claimant received disability or death benefits under said articles.
(16) "Panel" means the industrial claim appeals panel that conducts administrative appellate review pursuant to articles 40 to 47 of this title.
(16.5) (a) "Permanent total disability" means the employee is unable to earn any wages in the same or other employment. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection (16.5), the burden of proof shall be on the employee to prove that the employee is unable to earn any wages in the same or other employment.
(b) Total loss of or total loss of use of both hands, or both arms, or both feet, or both legs, or both eyes, or any two thereof shall create a rebuttable presumption of permanent total disability. "Total loss of use" shall be a medical determination, based upon objective findings, made by an independent medical examiner who is a level II accredited physician in the appropriate field.
(17) "Place of employment" means every place whether indoors, outdoors, or underground and the premises, workplaces, works, and plants appertaining thereto or used in connection therewith where either temporarily or permanently any industry, trade, or business is carried on; or where any process or operation directly or indirectly relating to any industry, trade, or business is carried on; or where any person is directly or indirectly employed by another for direct or indirect gain or profit.
(18) "State" includes any state or territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, and any province of Canada.
(18.5) "Temporary help contracting firm" means any person who is in the business of employing individuals and, for compensation from a third party, providing those individuals to perform work for the third party, under the supervision of the third party.
(19) (a) "Wages" shall be construed to mean the money rate at which the services rendered are recompensed under the contract of hire in force at the time of the injury, either express or implied.
(b) The term "wages" includes the amount of the employee's cost of continuing the employer's group health insurance plan and, upon termination of the continuation, the employee's cost of conversion to a similar or lesser insurance plan, and gratuities reported to the federal internal revenue service by or for the worker for purposes of filing federal income tax returns and the reasonable value of board, rent, housing, and lodging received from the employer, the reasonable value of which shall be fixed and determined from the facts by the division in each particular case, but does not include any similar advantage or fringe benefit not specifically enumerated in this subsection (19). If, after the injury, the employer continues to pay any advantage or fringe benefit specifically enumerated in this subsection (19), including the cost of health insurance coverage or the cost of the conversion of health insurance coverage, that advantage or benefit shall not be included in the determination of the employee's wages so long as the employer continues to make payment. Medicaid and other indigent health care programs are not health insurance plans for the purposes of this section.
(c) No per diem payment shall be considered wages under this subsection (19) unless it is also considered wages for federal income tax purposes.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.