2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Vehicles and Traffic
Article 3 - Registration, Taxation, and License Plates
Part 3 - Fees and Cash Funds
§ 42-3-310. Additional registration fees - apportionment of fees
(1) Every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is primarily designed to be operated or drawn upon a highway, except the vehicles specifically exempted from payment of registration fees by this article, shall, within the registration period prescribed by law or within ten days after the date of purchase of any such vehicle, pay an annual registration fee of one dollar and fifty cents, which annual fee shall be in addition to the annual registration fee prescribed by law for such vehicle.
(2) The additional registration fee provided for in this section shall not be transmitted to the department, but the aggregate amount of all such fees paid over by the authorized agent to the county treasurer shall be retained by the treasurer and allocated by the treasurer to the county and to the cities and incorporated towns located within the boundaries of the county on the basis of the record of rural and urban registrations that indicates the place of residence of each vehicle owner paying registration fees.
(3) The owner of a vehicle specified in subsection (1) of this section who is required to pay an annual registration fee for such vehicle to the department shall also pay the additional annual registration fee provided for in this section to the department, and the department shall transmit such additional fee to the proper county treasurer, as indicated by the place of residence of such owner, and such county treasurer shall allocate such fee in the manner prescribed in subsection (2) of this section.
(4) Two dollars and fifty cents of each annual vehicle registration fee imposed by sections 42-3-304 to 42-3-306, exclusive of the annual registration fees prescribed for motorcycles, trailer coaches, special mobile machinery, and trailers having an empty weight of two thousand pounds or less and exclusive of a registration fee paid for a fractional part of a year, shall not be transmitted to the department but shall be paid over by the authorized agent, as collected, to the county treasurer, who shall credit the same to an account entitled "apportioned vehicle registration fees". On the tenth day of each month, the county treasurer shall apportion the balance in the account existing on the last day of the immediately preceding month between the county and the cities and incorporated towns located within the boundaries of the county on the basis of the record of rural and urban registrations that indicates the place of residence of each vehicle owner.
(5) All amounts allocated to the county shall be credited to the county road and bridge fund, and all amounts allocated to a city or incorporated town shall be credited to an appropriate fund and expended by such city or incorporated town only for the construction and maintenance of highways, roads, and streets located within its boundaries.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.