2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Vehicles and Traffic
Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic
Article 4 - Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic
Part 7 - Rights-of-Way
§ 42-4-713. Yielding right-of-way to transit buses - definitions - penalty
(1) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) "Public mass transit operator" has the same meaning as in section 43-1-102 (5), C.R.S.
(b) "Transit bus" means a bus operated by a public mass transit operator.
(2) Drivers of vehicles in the same lane of traffic and behind a transit bus shall yield the right-of-way to the bus if:
(a) The driver of the transit bus, after stopping to allow passengers to board or exit, is signaling an intention to enter a traffic lane; and
(b) A yield sign as described in subsection (3) of this section is displayed and illuminated on the back of the transit bus.
(3) The yield sign referred to in paragraph (b) of subsection (2) of this section shall:
(a) Warn a driver of a vehicle behind the transit bus that the driver is required to yield when the bus is entering a traffic lane; and
(b) Be illuminated when the driver of the transit bus is attempting to enter a traffic lane.
(4) This section does not require a public mass transit operator to install yield signs as described in subsection (3) of this section on transit buses operated by the public mass transit operator.
(5) This section does not relieve a driver of a transit bus from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the roadway.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.