2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Vehicles and Traffic
Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic
Article 4 - Regulation of Vehicles and Traffic
Part 15 - Motorcycles
§ 42-4-1502. Riding on motorcycles - protective helmet
(1) A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent seat if designed for two persons or upon another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle at the rear or side of the operator.
(2) A person shall ride upon a motorcycle only while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.
(3) No person shall operate a motorcycle while carrying packages, bundles, or other articles which prevent the person from keeping both hands on the handlebars.
(4) No operator shall carry any person nor shall any person ride in a position that will interfere with the operation or control of the motorcycle or the view of the operator.
(4.5) (a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this subsection (4.5), a person shall not drive or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle or low-power scooter on a roadway unless:
(I) Each person under eighteen years of age is wearing a protective helmet of a type and design manufactured for use by operators of motorcycles;
(II) The protective helmet conforms to the design and specifications set forth in paragraph (b) of this subsection (4.5); and
(III) The protective helmet is secured properly on the person's head with a chin strap while the motorcycle is in motion.
(b) A protective helmet required to be worn by this subsection (4.5) shall:
(I) Be designed to reduce injuries to the user resulting from head impacts and to protect the user by remaining on the user's head, deflecting blows, resisting penetration, and spreading the force of impact;
(II) Consist of lining, padding, and chin strap; and
(III) Meet or exceed the standards established in the United States department of transportation federal motor vehicle safety standard no. 218, 49 CFR 571.218, for motorcycle helmets.
(c) A person driving or riding a motorcycle need not wear a helmet if the motorcycle has:
(I) Three wheels;
(II) A maximum design speed of twenty-five miles per hour or less;
(III) A windshield; and
(IV) Seat belts.
(5) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.