2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 42 - Vehicles and Traffic
Article 2 - Drivers' Licenses
Part 1 - Drivers' Licenses
§ 42-2-116. Restricted license
(1) The department, upon issuing a driver's or minor driver's license or an instruction permit, has authority, whenever good cause appears, to impose restrictions, limitations, or conditions which are suitable to the licensee's driving ability with respect to the type of special mechanical control device required on a motor vehicle which the licensee may operate or which limit the right of the licensee to drive a motor vehicle except when such licensee is required to drive to and from the licensee's place of employment or to perform duties within the course of employment or to impose such other restrictions applicable to the licensee as the department may determine to be appropriate to assure the safe operation of a motor vehicle by the licensee.
(2) The department either may issue a special restricted license or must set forth such restrictions, limitations, or conditions upon the usual license form issued to the applicant.
(3) The department, upon receiving satisfactory evidence of any violation of the restrictions, limitations, or conditions of such license, may cancel or suspend such restricted license, but the licensee shall be entitled to a hearing as upon a suspension or revocation under this article.
(4) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon a highway or elsewhere within this state in any manner in violation of the restrictions, limitations, or conditions imposed in a special restricted license, in a driver's or minor driver's license, or in an instruction permit issued to such person by the department or by another state or country.
(5) The department is authorized after examination to issue a restricted license to a person with a mental illness or a developmental disability, containing such restrictions as may be imposed upon said person by a court pursuant to part 3 or part 4 of article 14 of title 15, C.R.S., or section 27-65-109 (4) or 27-65-127, C.R.S.
(6) (a) A person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.
(b) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2012.)
(7) and (8) Repealed.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.