2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 40 - Utilities
Article 10.1 - Motor Carriers
Part 6 - Transportation Network Companies
§ 40-10.1-604. Registration - financial responsibility of transportation network companies - insurance
(1) A transportation network company shall comply with the filing requirements of part 3 and the registered agent requirement of part 7 of article 90 of title 7, C.R.S.
(2) A transportation network company shall file with the commission documentation evidencing that the transportation network company or the driver has secured primary liability insurance coverage for the driver for incidents involving the driver during a prearranged ride. Coverage for incidents involving a driver during a prearranged ride must be in the amount of at least one million dollars per occurrence. The insurance policy must provide coverage at all times the driver is engaged in a prearranged ride. This subsection (2) becomes effective ninety days after June 5, 2014.
(3) For the period of time when a driver is logged into a transportation network company's digital network but is not engaged in a prearranged ride, the following insurance requirements apply:
(b) On or before January 15, 2015, and thereafter, a driver or a transportation network company on the driver's behalf shall maintain a primary automobile insurance policy that:
(I) Recognizes that the driver is a transportation network company driver and covers the driver's provision of transportation network company services while the driver is logged into the transportation network company's digital network;
(II) Meets at least the minimum coverage of at least fifty thousand dollars to any one person in any one accident, one hundred thousand dollars to all persons in any one accident, and for property damage arising out of the use of the motor vehicle to a limit, exclusive of interest and costs, of thirty thousand dollars in any one accident; and
(III) Is one of the following:
(A) Full-time coverage similar to the coverage required by commission rules promulgated under section 40-10.1-107 (1);
(B) An insurance rider to, or endorsement of, the driver's personal automobile insurance policy required by the "Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Act", article 7 of title 42, C.R.S.; or
(C) A corporate liability insurance policy purchased by the transportation network company that provides primary coverage for the period of time in which a driver is logged into the digital network.
(c) The division of insurance shall conduct a study of whether the levels of coverage provided for in this subsection (3) are appropriate for the risk involved with transportation network company services. In conducting the study, the division of insurance shall convene one or more stakeholder meetings to evaluate the choices of coverage set forth in subparagraph (III) of paragraph (b) of this subsection (3). On or before January 15, 2015, the division of insurance shall present its findings and any recommendations to the business, labor, economic and workforce development committee in the house of representatives, the business, labor, and technology committee in the senate, the transportation and energy committee in the house of representatives, and the transportation committee in the senate.
(d) If a transportation network company purchases an insurance policy under this subsection (3), it shall provide documentation to the commission evidencing that the transportation network company has secured the policy. If the responsibility is placed on a driver to purchase insurance under this subsection (3), the transportation network company shall verify that the driver has purchased an insurance policy under this subsection (3).
(4) A driver's personal automobile insurance policy that complies with part 6 of article 4 of title 10, C.R.S., is sufficient to satisfy the compulsory insurance requirements thereof. An insurance policy required by subsection (2) or subsection (3) of this section:
(a) May be placed with an insurer licensed under title 10, C.R.S., or with a surplus lines insurer authorized under article 5 of title 10, C.R.S.; and
(b) Need not separately satisfy the requirements of part 6 of article 4 of title 10, C.R.S.
(5) Nothing in this section requires a personal automobile insurance policy to provide coverage for the period of time in which a driver is logged into a transportation network company's digital network.
(6) If more than one insurance policy provides valid and collectible coverage for a loss arising out of an occurrence involving a motor vehicle operated by a driver, the responsibility for the claim must be divided on a pro rata basis among all of the applicable policies. This equal division of responsibility may only be modified by the written agreement of all of the insurers of the applicable policies and the owners of those policies.
(7) In a claims coverage investigation, a transportation network company shall cooperate with a liability insurer that also insures the driver's transportation network company vehicle, including the provision of relevant dates and times during which an incident occurred that involved the driver while the driver was logged into a transportation network company's digital network.
(8) Nothing in this section modifies or abrogates any otherwise applicable insurance requirements set forth in title 10, C.R.S.
(9) If a transportation network company's insurer makes a payment for a claim covered under comprehensive coverage or collision coverage, the transportation network company shall cause its insurer to issue the payment directly to the business repairing the vehicle or jointly to the owner of the vehicle and the primary lienholder on the covered vehicle. The commission shall not assess any fines as a result of a violation of this subsection (9).
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.