2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 32 - Special Districts
Special District Act
Article 1 - Special District Provisions
Part 3 - Organization
§ 32-1-305. Court hearing - election - declaration of organization
(1) Except as otherwise provided in section 32-1-304.5, on the day fixed for the hearing provided in section 32-1-304 or at an adjournment thereof, the court shall first ascertain, from such evidence which may be adduced, that the required number of taxpaying electors of the proposed special district have signed the petition.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in section 32-1-304.5, upon said hearing, if the court finds that the petition has not been signed and presented in conformity with this part 3, it shall dismiss said proceedings and adjudge the costs against the signers of the petition in the proportion it deems just and equitable. No appeal or other remedy shall lie from an order dismissing said proceedings. Nothing in this subsection (2) shall be construed to prevent the filing of a subsequent petition for similar improvements or for a similar special district, and the right so to renew such proceedings is hereby expressly granted and authorized.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in section 32-1-304.5, anytime after the filing of the petition for the organization of a special district but no later than ten days before the day fixed for the hearing thereon, the owner of any real property within the proposed special district may file a petition with the court stating reasons why said property should not be included therein and requesting that said real property be excluded therefrom. The petition shall be duly verified and shall describe the property sought to be excluded. The court shall hear the petition and all objections thereto at the time of the hearing on the petition for organization and shall determine whether, in the best public interest, the property should be excluded or included in the proposed special district. The court shall exclude property located in any home rule municipality in respect to which a petition for exclusion has been filed by the municipality.
(4) Except as otherwise provided in section 32-1-304.5, upon the hearing, if it appears that a petition for the organization of a special district has been signed and presented in conformity with this part 3 and that the allegations of the petition are true, the court, by order duly entered of record, shall direct that the question of the organization of the special district be submitted at an election to be held for that purpose in accordance with articles 1 to 13.5 of title 1, C.R.S.
(5) At such election the voter shall vote for or against the organization of the special district and for five electors of the district who shall constitute the board of the special district, if organized.
(6) If a majority of the votes cast at said election are in favor of the organization and the court determines the election was held in accordance with articles 1 to 13.5 of title 1, C.R.S., the court shall declare the special district organized and give the special district the corporate name designated in the petition, by which it shall thereafter be known in all proceedings, and designate the first board elected. Thereupon the special district shall be a quasi-municipal corporation and a political subdivision of the state of Colorado with all the powers thereof.
(7) If an order is entered declaring the special district organized, such order shall be deemed final, and no appeal or other remedy shall lie therefrom. The entry of such order shall finally and conclusively establish the regular organization of the special district against all persons except the state of Colorado in an action in the nature of quo warranto commenced by the attorney general within thirty-five days after entry of such order declaring such special district organized and not otherwise. The organization of said special district shall not be directly or collaterally questioned in any suit, action, or proceeding except as expressly authorized in this subsection (7).
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.