2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 24 - Government - State
Article 90 - Libraries
Part 1 - Library Law
§ 24-90-115. Regional library service system - governing board
(1) (a) The board of trustees of any public library, library district, or the governing board of any publicly supported library may participate in a regional library service system that provides cooperative services such as resource sharing, consulting, and continuing education under a plan submitted to the state librarian for the approval of said librarian. The bylaws of each regional library service system shall provide for a governing board consisting solely of representatives from publicly supported libraries that are members of the system. The bylaws of a regional library service system may provide for membership in the system by libraries that are not publicly supported. In such case, the bylaws shall specify which such libraries are members of the system and any benefits of membership in the system that shall accrue to such libraries.
(b) The state board of education shall adopt rules and regulations, in accordance with article 4 of this title, relating to the establishment, governance, and dissolution of regional library service systems.
(2) (a) The governing board of a regional library service system shall consist of at least one representative from any three of the following four types of publicly supported libraries participating in the system:
(III) Academic; and
(b) The governing board of the regional library service system shall be elected by a system membership council comprised of one representative of each system member representing a publicly supported library.
(3) (a) The governing board of each regional library service system has the right to exercise all powers vested in a board of trustees pursuant to section 24-90-109. Nothing pertaining to the organization or operation of a regional library service system shall be construed to infringe upon the autonomy of the board of trustees of a public library or the governing board of any publicly supported library.
(b) The governing board of each regional library service system shall submit annual plans and budgets under regulations established by the state librarian as provided in section 24-90-105 (1) (a).
(4) Before withdrawing from a regional library service system, any participating library shall be required to fulfill all outstanding obligations for that fiscal year. Withdrawal shall be accomplished pursuant to rules and regulations established by the state board of education.
(5) If the need for a regional library service system ceases to exist, the membership council, in its sole discretion, shall by a two-thirds vote of its members, declare its intent to dissolve the organization and file with the state library a plan for effecting such dissolution, which shall be carried out upon approval by the state board of education.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.