2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 18 - Criminal Code
Article 5 - Offenses Involving Fraud
Part 7 - Financial Transaction Device Crime Act
§ 18-5-701. Definitions
As used in this part 7, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Account holder" means the person or business entity named on the face of a financial transaction device to whom or for whose benefit the financial transaction device is issued by an issuer.
(2) "Automated banking device" means any machine which, when properly activated by a financial transaction device or a personal identification code, may be used for any of the purposes for which a financial transaction device may be used.
(3) "Financial transaction device" means any instrument or device whether known as a credit card, banking card, debit card, electronic fund transfer card, or guaranteed check card, or account number representing a financial account or affecting the financial interest, standing, or obligation of or to the account holder, that can be used to obtain cash, goods, property, or services or to make financial payments, but shall not include a "check", a "negotiable order of withdrawal", and a "share draft" as defined in section 18-5-205.
(4) "Issuer" means any person or banking, financial, or business institution, corporation, or other business entity that assigns financial rights by acquiring, distributing, controlling, or cancelling a financial transaction device.
(5) "Personal identification code" means any grouping of letters, numbers, or symbols assigned to the account holder of a financial transaction device by the issuer to permit authorized electronic use of that financial transaction device.
(6) "Sales form" means any written record of a financial transaction involving use of a financial transaction device.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.