2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 12 - Professions and Occupations
Article 42.5 - Pharmacists, Pharmacy Businesses, and Pharmaceuticals
Part 1 - General Provisions
§ 12-42.5-115. Continuing education
(1) Except as permitted in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, the board shall not renew, reinstate, or reactivate the license of any pharmacist until the pharmacist presents evidence that he or she has completed twenty-four hours of approved continuing pharmaceutical education within the preceding two years. Subject to subsection (9) of this section, the evidence may be provided by checking a sign-off box on the license renewal application.
(2) (a) The board may renew the license of a pharmacist who presents acceptable evidence that the pharmacist was unable to comply with subsection (1) of this section.
(b) The board may grant a six-month compliance extension to pharmacists who are unable to comply with subsection (1) of this section.
(3) The board may renew the license for the first renewal period following the issuance of the original license without requiring a pharmacist to complete any continuing pharmaceutical education if the pharmacist obtains a license within one year after the completion of the pharmacist's pharmaceutical education.
(4) To qualify for continuing education credit, a program of continuing pharmaceutical education must be currently approved by the accreditation council on pharmaceutical education or an equivalent accrediting body as determined by the board.
(5) Each program of continuing pharmaceutical education must consist of at least one continuing education unit, which is one hour of participation in an organized continuing educational experience, including postgraduate studies, institutes, seminars, lectures, conferences, workshops, correspondence courses, cassette programs, programmed learning courses, audiovisual programs, internet programs, and any other form of presentation that is accredited.
(6) Any aspect of the practice of pharmacy may be the subject of a program of continuing pharmaceutical education, including pharmaceutics, compounding, pharmacology, pharmaceutical chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, pharmacy administration, and professional practice management.
(7) A program of continuing pharmaceutical education may include the following:
(a) A definite stated objective;
(b) Presentation in an organized manner; and
(c) A method of program evaluation that is suitable to the type of program being presented.
(8) A program of continuing pharmaceutical education must meet the requirements as established by the accrediting body.
(9) The board may annually audit up to five percent of the pharmacists licensed and residing in Colorado to determine compliance with this section.
(10) If a licensed pharmacist fails to obtain the twenty-four hours of approved continuing pharmaceutical education, the pharmacist's license becomes inactive. An inactive licensee is not required to comply with any continuing pharmaceutical education requirement so long as the licensee remains inactive, but the licensee must continue to pay applicable fees, including renewal fees. The board shall note "inactive status" on the face of any license it issues to a licensee while the licensee remains inactive. Should an inactive pharmacist wish to resume the practice of pharmacy after being placed on an inactive list, the pharmacist shall file an application to activate his or her license, pay the license renewal fee, and, subject to subsections (2) and (3) of this section, meet the twenty-four-hour continuing education requirement. If a licensed pharmacist engages in the practice of pharmacy while on inactive status, that conduct may be grounds for license revocation under this article.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Colorado may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.