2021 California Code
Business and Professions Code - BPC
DIVISION 4 - REAL ESTATE
PART 2 - REGULATION OF TRANSACTIONS
CHAPTER 2 - The Vacation Ownership and Time-Share Act of 004
ARTICLE 3 - Time-Share Plan Requirements
For single site time-share plans and component sites of multisite time-share plans located in this state, the time-share instrument shall require that the following insurance be at all times maintained in force to protect time-share interest owners in the time-share plan:
(a) Insurance against property damage as a result of fire and other hazards commonly insured against, covering all real and personal property comprising the time-share plan in an amount not less than 80 percent of the full replacement value of the time-share property.
(1) In a time-share use offering, the trustee shall be a named coinsured, and if for any reason, title to the accommodation is not held in trust, the association shall be named as a coinsured as the agent for each of the time-share interest owners.
(2) In a time-share estate offering, the association shall be named as a coinsured if it has title to the property or as a coinsured as agent for each of the time-share interests owners if title is held by the owners as tenants in common.
(3) If, after control of the governing body of the association has passed to the owners other than the developer, and the association amends the time-share instrument to reduce the percentage below 80 percent, the failure of the association to maintain coverage at 80 percent of replacement value shall not be grounds for denial of a public report.
(b) Liability insurance against death, bodily injury, and property damage arising out of or in connection with the use, ownership, or maintenance of the accommodations of the time-share plan.
(1) The amounts of the insurance shall be determined by the association, but shall not be less than five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) to one million dollars ($1,000,000) for personal injury and one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) for property damage.
(2) The liability insurance policy shall provide for all of the following:
(A) All time-share interest owners as a class are named as additional insureds in a policy issued to the association.
(B) The waiver by the insurer of its right to subrogation under the policy against any time-share interest owner or member of his or her household.
(C) No act or omission by a time-share interest owner, unless acting within the scope of his or her authority on behalf of the association, shall void the policy or operate as a condition to recovery under the policy by any other person.
(Added by Stats. 2004, Ch. 697, Sec. 14. Effective January 1, 2005. Section operative July 1, 2005, pursuant to Section 11288.)