2020 California Code
Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 11.5 - SENTENCING FOR DRIVING WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE
CHAPTER 2 - Court Penalties
ARTICLE 5 - Additional Penalties and Sanctions
(a) On or before March 1, 2024, the Department of Motor Vehicles shall report data to the Transportation Agency regarding the implementation and efficacy of the program enacted by the act that added this section.
(b) The data described in subdivision (a) shall, at a minimum, include all of the following:
(1) The number of individuals who were required to have a functioning, certified ignition interlock device installed as a result of the program who killed or injured anyone in an accident while he or she was operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol.
(2) The number of individuals who were required to have a functioning, certified ignition interlock device installed as a result of the program who were convicted of an alcohol-related violation of Section 23103, as specified in Section 23103.5, or Section 23140, 23152, or 23153, or Section 191.5 or subdivision (a) of Section 192.5 of the Penal Code during the term in which the person was required to have the ignition interlock device installed.
(3) The number of injuries and deaths resulting from alcohol-related motor vehicle accidents between January 1, 2019, and January 1, 2024, inclusive, and during periods of similar duration prior to the implementation of the program.
(4) The number of individuals who have been convicted more than one time for driving under the influence of alcohol between January 1, 2019, and January 1, 2024, inclusive, and periods of similar duration prior to the implementation of the program.
(5) Any other information requested by the Transportation Agency to assess the effectiveness of the statewide ignition interlock device requirement in reducing recidivism for driving-under-the-influence violations.
(c) The Transportation Agency may contract with educational institutions to obtain and analyze the data required by this section.
(d) The Transportation Agency shall assess the program based on the data provided pursuant to subdivision (b) and shall report to the Legislature on the outcomes of the program no later than January 1, 2025.
(e) The report described in subdivision (a) shall be submitted in compliance with Section 9795 of the Government Code.
(f) (1) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2019.
(2) This section is repealed as of January 1, 2029, unless a later enacted statute, that becomes operative on or before January 1, 2029, deletes or extends the dates on which it becomes inoperative and is repealed.
(Added by Stats. 2016, Ch. 783, Sec. 36. (SB 1046) Effective January 1, 2017. Section operative January 1, 2019, by its own provisions. Repealed as of January 1, 2029, by its own provisions.)