2019 California Code
Welfare and Institutions Code - WIC
DIVISION 24 - STATE-ONLY FAMILY PLANNING PROGRAM
(a) The department shall determine the scope of benefits for the program, which shall include, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Family planning related services and male and female sterilization. Family planning services for men and women include emergency and complication services directly related to the contraceptive method and followup, consultation and referral services, as indicated, which may require treatment authorization requests.
(2) All United States Department of Health and Human Services, Federal Drug Administration-approved birth control methods, devices, and supplies that are in keeping with current standards of practice and from which the individual may choose.
(3) Culturally and linguistically appropriate health education and counseling services, including informed consent; psychosocial and medical aspects of contraception, sexuality, fertility, pregnancy, and parenthood; infertility; reproductive health care; preconceptual and nutrition counseling; prevention and treatment of sexually transmitted infection; use of contraceptive methods, devices, and supplies; possible contraceptive consequences and followup; interpersonal communication and negotiation of relationships to assist individuals and couples in effective contraceptive method use and planning families.
(4) A comprehensive health history, updated at next periodic visit (between 11 and 24 months after initial examination) that includes a complete obstetrical history, gynecological history, contraceptive history, personal medical history, health risk factors, and family health history, including genetic or hereditary conditions.
(5) A complete physical examination on initial and subsequent periodic visits.
(b) Benefits under this program shall be effective in 30 days after notice to providers, but not sooner than January 1, 1997.
(Added by Stats. 1996, Ch. 197, Sec. 52. Effective July 22, 1996.)