2018 California Code
Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 3 - REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES AND CERTIFICATES OF TITLE
CHAPTER 1 - Original and Renewal of Registration; Issuance of Certificates of Title
ARTICLE 8.4 - Special Interest License Plates
(a) The department, in consultation with the Yosemite Foundation, shall design and make available for issuance pursuant to this article special environmental design license plates bearing, notwithstanding Section 5060, a full-plate graphic design depicting a significant feature or quality of Yosemite National Park. Any person described in Section 5101, upon payment of the additional fees set forth in subdivision (b), may apply for and be issued a set of special environmental design license plates. Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 5060, the plates may be issued in a combination of numbers or letters, or both, requested by the owner or lessee of the vehicle.
(b) In addition to the regular fees for an original registration or renewal of registration, the following additional fees shall be paid for the issuance, renewal, or transfer of the special environmental design license plates authorized pursuant to this section:
(1) For the original issuance of the plates, fifty dollars ($50).
(2) For a renewal of registration with the plates, forty dollars ($40).
(3) For transfer of the plates to another vehicle, fifteen dollars ($15).
(4) For each substitute replacement plate, thirty-five dollars ($35).
(5) For the conversion of an existing environmental license plate to the special environmental design license plate authorized pursuant to this section, sixty-five dollars ($65).
(c) After deducting its administrative costs under this section, the department shall deposit the additional revenue derived from the issuance, renewal, transfer, and substitution of special environmental design license plates as follows:
(1) One-half in the Yosemite Foundation Account, which is hereby created in the California Environmental License Plate Fund. Upon appropriation by the Legislature, the money in the account shall be allocated by the Controller to the Yosemite Foundation or its successor for expenditure for the exclusive trust purposes of preservation and restoration projects in Yosemite National Park.
(2) One-half in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.
(d) The Yosemite Foundation shall report to the Legislature on or before June 30 of each year on its use and expenditure of the money in the Yosemite Foundation Account, beginning one year after the initial issuance of the special interest license plates authorized by this section.
(Amended by Stats. 1996, Ch. 1154, Sec. 58. Effective September 30, 1996.)