2018 California Code
Business and Professions Code - BPC
DIVISION 3 - PROFESSIONS AND VOCATIONS GENERALLY
CHAPTER 2.6 - Ordinances Governing On-Premise Advertising Displays
For purposes of this chapter only:
(a) “Illegal on-premises advertising display” means any of the following:
(1) An on-premises advertising display erected without first complying with all ordinances and regulations in effect at the time of its construction and erection or use.
(2) An on-premises advertising display that was legally erected, but whose use has ceased, or the structure upon which the display is placed has been abandoned by its owner, not maintained, or not used to identify or advertise an ongoing business for a period of not less than 90 days.
(3) An on-premises advertising display that was legally erected which later became nonconforming as a result of the adoption of an ordinance, the amortization period for the display provided by the ordinance rendering the display nonconforming has expired, and conformance has not been accomplished.
(4) An on-premises advertising display which is a danger to the public or is unsafe.
(5) An on-premises advertising display which is a traffic hazard not created by relocation of streets or highways or by acts of the city or county.
(b) “On-premises advertising display” means any structure, housing, sign, device, figure, statuary, painting, display, message placard, or other contrivance, or any part thereof, which is designed, constructed, created, engineered, intended, or used to advertise, or to provide data or information in the nature of advertising, for any of the following purposes:
(1) To designate, identify, or indicate the name of the business of the owner or occupant of the premises upon which the advertising display is located.
(2) To advertise the business conducted, services available or rendered, or the goods produced, sold, or available for sale, upon the property where the advertising display is erected.
(c) “Enforcement officer” means the public employee or officer designated by the legislative body of the city or county to perform the duties imposed by this chapter on the enforcement officer.
(Added by Stats. 1987, Ch. 1281, Sec. 6.)