2017 California Code
Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 3 - REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES AND CERTIFICATES OF TITLE
CHAPTER 1 - Original and Renewal of Registration; Issuance of Certificates of Title
ARTICLE 8.4 - Special Interest License Plates
(a) The department, in consultation with the California Coastal Commission, shall design and make available for issuance pursuant to this article special environmental design license plates. Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 5060, the special environmental design license plates shall bear a graphic design depicting a California coastal motif and may be issued in a combination of numbers or letters, or both, as requested by the applicant for the plates. Any person described in Section 5101 may, upon payment of the additional fees set forth in subdivision (b), apply for and be issued a set of special environmental design license plates.
(b) In addition to the regular fees for an original registration or renewal of registration, the following additional fees shall be paid for the issuance, renewal, retention, or transfer of the special environmental design license plates authorized pursuant to this section:
(1) For the original issuance of the plates, fifty dollars ($50).
(2) For a renewal of registration of the plates or retention of the plates, if renewal is not required, forty dollars ($40).
(3) For transfer of the plates to another vehicle, fifteen dollars ($15).
(4) For each substitute replacement plate, thirty-five dollars ($35).
(5) In addition, for the issuance of an environmental license plate, as defined in Section 5103, the additional fees prescribed in Section 5106 and 5108. The additional fees prescribed in Sections 5106 and 5108 shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.
(c) After deducting its administrative costs under this section, the department, except as provided in paragraph (5) of subdivision (b), shall deposit the additional revenue derived from the issuance, renewal, transfer, and substitution of special environmental design license plates as follows:
(1) One-half in the California Beach and Coastal Enhancement Account, which is hereby established in the California Environmental License Plate Fund. Upon appropriation by the Legislature, the money in the account shall be allocated by the Controller as follows:
(A) First to the California Coastal Commission for expenditure for the Adopt-A-Beach program, the Beach Cleanup Day program, coastal public education programs, and grants to local governments and nonprofit organizations for the costs of operating and maintaining public beaches related to these programs.
(B) Second, from funds remaining after the allocation required under subparagraph (A), to the State Coastal Conservancy for coastal natural resource restoration and enhancement projects and for other projects consistent with the provisions of Division 21 (commencing with Section 31000) of the Public Resources Code.
(2) One-half in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.
(Amended by Stats. 2004, Ch. 230, Sec. 19. Effective August 16, 2004.)