2016 California Code
Business and Professions Code - BPC
DIVISION 8 - SPECIAL BUSINESS REGULATIONS
CHAPTER 23 - Tanning Facilities
22706. (a) A tanning facility shall:
(1) Have an operator present during operating hours who is sufficiently knowledgeable in the correct operation of the tanning devices used at the facility so that he or she is able to inform and assist each customer in the proper use of the tanning devices.
(2) Before each use of an ultraviolet tanning device, provide each customer with properly sanitized protective eyewear that protects the eye from ultraviolet radiation and allows adequate vision to maintain balance; and not allow a person to use an ultraviolet tanning device if that person does not use the protective eyewear.
(3) Show each customer how to use suitable physical aids, such as handrails and markings on the floor, to maintain proper exposure distance as recommended by the manufacturer.
(4) Use a timer on an ultraviolet tanning device that has an accuracy of plus or minus 10 percent of any selected timer interval. The timer shall also be remotely located so that customers cannot set their own exposure time.
(5) Limit each customer using an ultraviolet tanning device to the maximum exposure time as recommended by the manufacturer.
(6) Control the interior temperature of a tanning facility so that it does not exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
(b) (1) Every person who uses a tanning facility shall sign a written statement acknowledging that he or she has read and understood the warnings before using the device; and agrees to use the protective eyewear that the tanning facility provides. The statement of acknowledgment shall be retained by the tanning facility until the end of the calendar year at which time each person who is a current customer of the facility shall be required to renew that acknowledgment.
(2) Whenever using a tanning device a person shall use the protective eyewear that the tanning facility provides.
(3) Persons under 18 years of age are prohibited from using an ultraviolet tanning device.
(4) Proof of age shall be satisfied with a driver s license or other government issued identification containing the date of birth and a photograph of the individual.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 664, Sec. 2. Effective January 1, 2012.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. California may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.