2014 California Code
Business and Professions Code - BPC
DIVISION 8 - SPECIAL BUSINESS REGULATIONS
CHAPTER 14 - Tax Preparers
(a) The following persons are exempt from the requirements of this title, subject to the requirements of subdivision (b):
(1) A person with a current and valid license issued by the California Board of Accountancy.
(2) A person who is an active member of the State Bar of California.
(3) Any trust company or trust business as defined in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 99) of Division 1 of the Financial Code.
(4) A financial institution regulated by the state or federal government, insofar as the activities of the financial institution with respect to tax preparation are subject to federal or state examination or oversight.
(5) A person who is enrolled to practice before the Internal Revenue Service pursuant to Subpart A (commencing with Section 10.1) of Part 10 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(6) Any employee of any person described in paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5), while functioning within the scope of that employment.
(7) Any employee of any corporation, partnership, association, or any entity described in subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 22251.
(b) (1) Except for employees of entities described in paragraph (3) or (4) of subdivision (a), paragraph (6) of subdivision (a) shall apply only if all tax returns prepared by that employee are signed by a person described in paragraph (1), (2), or (5) of subdivision (a).
(2) Paragraph (7) of subdivision (a) shall apply only if all tax returns prepared by that employee are signed by the person described in paragraph (7) of subdivision (a).
(3) No person described in this subdivision as an employee may sign a tax return, unless that employee is otherwise exempt under this section, is registered as a tax preparer with the council, or is an employee of either a trust company or trust business described in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a), or any employee of a financial institution described in paragraph (4) of subdivision (a).
(c) For purposes of this section, preparation of a tax return includes the inputting of tax data into a computer.
(Amended by Stats. 2008, Ch. 33, Sec. 17. Effective June 23, 2008. Repealed as of January 1, 2019, pursuant to Section 22259.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. California may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.