2012 California Codes
CORP - Corporations Code
TITLE 2.6 - CALIFORNIA REVISED UNIFORM LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY ACT [17701.01 - 17713.13]
ARTICLE 10 - Merger and Conversion
(a) A limited liability company that desires to convert to an other business entity or a foreign other business entity or a foreign limited liability company shall approve a plan of conversion.
The plan of conversion shall state all of the following:
(1) The terms and conditions of the conversion.
(2) The place of the organization of the converted entity and of the converting limited liability company and the name of the converted entity after conversion.
(3) The manner of converting the membership interests of each of the members into shares of, securities of, or interests in, the converted entity.
(4) The provisions of the governing documents for the converted entity, including the limited liability company articles of organization and operating agreement, or articles or certificate of incorporation if the converted entity is a corporation, to which the holders of interests in the converted entity are to be bound.
(5) Any other details or provisions that are required by the laws under which the converted entity is organized, or that are desired by the parties.
(b) (1) The plan of conversion shall be approved by all managers and a majority in interest of each class of membership interest or if there are no managers, a majority in interest of each class of membership of the converting limited liability company, unless a greater or lesser approval is required by the operating agreement of the converting limited liability company.
(2) However, if the members of the limited liability company would become personally liable for any obligations of the converted entity as a result of the conversion, the plan of conversion shall be approved by all of the limited members of the converting limited liability company, unless the plan of conversion provides that all members will have dissenters’ rights as provided in Article 11 (commencing with Section 17711.01).
(c) Upon the effectiveness of the conversion, all members of the converting limited liability company, except those that exercise dissenters’ rights as provided in Article 11 (commencing with Section 17711.01), shall be deemed parties to any governing documents for the converted entity adopted as part of the plan of conversion, regardless of whether or not the member has executed the plan of conversion or the governing documents for the converted entity. Any adoption of governing documents made pursuant to the conversion shall be effective at the effective time or date of the conversion.
(d) Notwithstanding its prior approval, a plan of conversion may be amended before the conversion takes effect if the amendment is approved by all managers and a majority of the members or if there are no managers, a majority of the members of the converting limited liability company and, if the amendment changes any of the principal terms of the plan of conversion, the amendment is approved by the managers and members of the converting limited liability company in the same manner and to the same extent as required for the approval of the original plan of conversion.
(e) The managers by unanimous approval and the members of a converting limited liability company may, by majority approval at any time before the conversion is effective, in their discretion, abandon a conversion, without further approval by the managers or members, subject to the contractual rights of third parties other than managers or members.
(f) The converted entity shall keep the plan of conversion at the principal place of business of the converted entity if the converted entity is a domestic limited liability company or foreign other business entity, at the principal office of, or registrar or transfer agent of, the converted entity, if the converted entity is a domestic corporation, or at the office where records are to be kept pursuant to Section 17701.13 if the converted entity is a domestic limited liability company. Upon the request of a member of a converting limited liability company, the authorized person on behalf of the converted entity shall promptly deliver to the member or the holder of shares, interests, or other securities, at the expense of the converted entity, a copy of the plan of conversion. A waiver by a member of the rights provided in this subdivision shall be unenforceable.
(Added by Stats. 2012, Ch. 419, Sec. 20. Effective January 1, 2013. Operative January 1, 2014, by Sec. 32 of Ch. 419.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. California may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.