2009 California Penal Code - Section 6200-6208 :: Chapter 9. Conservation Centers

SECTION 6200-6208

6200.  There are hereby established, under the jurisdiction of the
Director of Corrections, the Sierra Conservation Center, the North
Coast Conservation Center and the Southern Conservation Center,
hereafter referred to collectively as the "conservation centers."

6201.  The primary purpose of the conservation centers shall be the
receiving, employment, care, custody and education of inmates in the
custody of the Director of Corrections assigned thereto.

6202.  Work of inmates assigned to the conservation centers may be
performed at the conservation centers or branches thereof or in or
from permanent, temporary, and mobile camps established pursuant to
this chapter or pursuant to Article 5 (commencing with Section 2780)
of Chapter 5 of Title 1 of Part 3. The provisions of Sections 2780.1
to 2786, inclusive, and Sections 2788 to 2791, inclusive, are
applicable to camps established pursuant to this article as well as
those established pursuant to that Article 5. The Director of
Corrections may, at such times as the director deems proper and on
such terms as the director deems wise, enter into contracts or
cooperative agreements with any public agency, local, state, or
federal, for the performance of other conservation projects which are
appropriate for the public agencies under policies which shall be
established by the Prison Industry Authority.
   Inmates and wards may be assigned to perform public conservation
projects, including, but not limited to, forest fire prevention and
control, forest and watershed management, recreational area
development, fish and game management, soil conservation, and forest
watershed revegetation.
   No productive industrial enterprise subject to the jurisdiction of
the Prison Industry Authority shall be established at any center or
branch thereof or camp established pursuant to this chapter except in
compliance with Chapter 3.5 (commencing with Section 5085) of Title
7 of Part 3.

6203.  The Director of Corrections shall, in accordance with law,
construct and provide equipment for suitable buildings, structures,
and facilities for the conservation centers, branches thereof, and
permanent, temporary, and mobile camps operated therefrom. The
director may, as necessary, lease equipment needed for the operation
of mobile camps. The Sierra Conservation Center shall be located in
the Tuolumne area of California. The North Coast Conservation Center
shall be located in the North Coast area of California. The Southern
Conservation Center shall be located on the grounds of the California
Institution for Men at Chino. The director may establish such
branches of the conservation centers as may be necessary.

6204.  The Director of Corrections shall make rules and regulations
for the government of the conservation centers in the management of
their affairs.

6205.  Each conservation center shall be headed by a warden,
appointed pursuant to Section 6050, and the Director of Corrections
shall appoint, subject to civil service, other officers and employees
as may be necessary.

6206.  The supervision, management, and control of the conservation
centers and the responsibility for the care, custody, treatment,
training, discipline, and employment of persons confined therein or
in branches thereof or in permanent, temporary, and mobile camps
operating therefrom are vested in the Director of Corrections.

6207.  The provisions of Part 3 (commencing with Section 2000),
insofar as applicable, apply to the conservation centers and branches
thereof and any permanent, temporary, and mobile camps operating
therefrom and to the persons confined therein.

6208.  Any persons under the custody of the Director of Corrections
may be transferred to the conservation centers in accordance with

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. California may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.