2009 California Code of Civil Procedure - Section 1280-1280.2 :: Chapter 1. General Provisions

SECTION 1280-1280.2

1280.  As used in this title:
   (a) "Agreement" includes but is not limited to agreements
providing for valuations, appraisals and similar proceedings and
agreements between employers and employees or between their
respective representatives.
   (b) "Award" includes but is not limited to an award made pursuant
to an agreement not in writing.
   (c) "Controversy" means any question arising between parties to an
agreement whether such question is one of law or of fact or both.
   (d) "Neutral arbitrator" means an arbitrator who is (1) selected
jointly by the parties or by the arbitrators selected by the parties
or (2) appointed by the court when the parties or the arbitrators
selected by the parties fail to select an arbitrator who was to be
selected jointly by them.
   (e) "Party to the arbitration" means a party to the arbitration
   (1) Who seeks to arbitrate a controversy pursuant to the
   (2) Against whom such arbitration is sought pursuant to the
agreement; or
   (3) Who is made a party to such arbitration by order of the
neutral arbitrator upon such party's application, upon the
application of any other party to the arbitration or upon the neutral
arbitrator's own determination.
   (f) "Written agreement" shall be deemed to include a written
agreement which has been extended or renewed by an oral or implied

1280.2.  Whenever reference is made in this title to any portion of
the title or of any other law of this State, the reference applies to
all amendments and additions thereto now or hereafter made.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. California may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.