2007 California Vehicle Code Article 2. Foreign Commercial Vehicles

CA Codes (veh:6850-6854)

SECTION 6850-6854

6850.  A nonresident owner of any foreign commercial vehicle shall
register the vehicle in this state and pay the fees applicable
thereto under this code, except as provided in this article and
Article 3 (commencing with Section 8000), and except in the event the
vehicle is lawfully registered as a private passenger vehicle in the
foreign jurisdiction in which the owner has residence, in which case
Section 6700 shall apply.

6852.  The nonresident owner of a foreign vehicle shall be granted
such privileges and freedom from registration and payment of fees
imposed by this code, or Part 5 of Division 2 of the Revenue and
Taxation Code, commencing at Section 10701, as the foreign
jurisdiction in which the foreign commercial vehicle is registered or
licensed grants to like vehicles registered under this code or as
provided in agreements, arrangements, or declarations made under
Article 3, commencing at Section 8000.

6853.  Any vehicle owned by a nonresident owner not registered under
this code, which vehicle is leased or rented to a user having an
established place of business or residence in this State, for use on
the highways of this State shall be subject to registration either by
the owner or lessee of the vehicle, unless the vehicle is exempted
from registration by the provisions of this division or under any
agreement, arrangement, or declaration made pursuant to Article 3,
commencing at Section 8000.

6854.  (a) Any owner or lessor of a commercial vehicle with primary
registration and plates issued in a foreign jurisdiction which does
not grant reciprocal privileges to California owners of commercial
vehicles shall submit to the department proof of financial
responsibility issued by an insurance company authorized to do
business in California.  This section shall apply only to commercial
vehicles having an unladen weight of over 7,000 pounds that are used
in the transportation of property in the conduct of a business.
   (b) As an alternative to the requirements of subdivision (a),
proof of financial responsibility may be met by submitting to the
department either of the following:
   (1) A certificate of registration as a foreign motor carrier or
foreign motor private carrier issued by the Interstate Commerce
Commission under Part 1171 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal
   (2) Contractual documents showing to the satisfaction of the
department that a trailer or semitrailer subject to registration
under Part 1171 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations will
be towed by a truck or truck tractor operated by a motor carrier
having highway carrier operating authority issued by the Public
Utilities Commission.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. California may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.