2007 California Vehicle Code Article 4. Transfer By Department

CA Codes (veh:6050-6052)

SECTION 6050-6052

6050.  (a) The department upon receipt of a properly endorsed
certificate of ownership and the required fee shall reregister the
vehicle under its registration number in the name of the new owner
and new legal owner, if any, and shall issue a new registration card
and certificate of ownership as provided upon an original
   (b) The department shall not issue a new registration card and
certificate of ownership pursuant to subdivision (a) on a vehicle
that has been issued a nonrepairable vehicle certificate pursuant to
Section 11515.2.

6051.  If the application for a transfer is made in the manner
provided in this code the department shall not be required to
withhold the transfer of any right, title, or interest in or to a
vehicle if the application on its face appears to be genuine and
regular and the department has received neither a request from any
law enforcement agency that action on the application be deferred nor
an order of a court of the United States or of the State of
California restraining the transfer within two years prior thereto.

6052.  When application is made for transfer of the ownership of a
vehicle for which a certificate of ownership has been issued without
registration, upon payment of registration, transfer, and other fees
required by law, the department shall issue the usual certificate of
ownership and registration card unless the vehicle is not to be
operated on the highways and the new owner submits an affidavit
satisfactory to the department as to those facts required by
subdivision (b) of Section 4452, in which case the new certificate of
title and facsimile thereof may be issued as provided for in that

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. California may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.