2020 Arkansas Code
Title 18 - Property
Subtitle 2 - Real Property
Chapter 15 - Eminent Domain
Subchapter 14 - Cemeteries
§ 18-15-1408. Public property
(a) If a cemetery located on land of a private landowner has been open to public use for a period of at least fifty (50) years, then the cemetery shall be deemed to be public property unless:
(1) The property has been enclosed by the landowner for at least one (1) year prior to an order of the quorum court providing for the care and management of the cemetery as provided for under subsection (b) of this section; or
(2) The cemetery has been operated by the landowner for at least one (1) year prior to an order of the quorum court providing for the care and management of the cemetery as provided for under subsection (b) of this section.
(1) If, upon the petition of any person, the quorum court determines that a cemetery is public property under this section, the quorum court may issue an order providing for the management and care of the cemetery. The county may manage and care for the cemetery or may enter into an agreement allowing a nonprofit association or corporation to provide for the management and care of the cemetery.
(2) Upon issuing an order for the management and care of the public property, the quorum court shall notify the landowner of its order, based on the quorum court's finding that the property has become public property, and shall include a copy of the provisions of this section. The notice shall be by certified mail.
(3) No person or his or her heirs shall have, sue, or maintain any action or suit, either in law or equity, for any cemetery lands more than six (6) months after the person receives the notice required under this section.
(c) The rights of the public to cemetery property under this section shall be in the nature of an adverse possession. No additional conditions for adverse possession shall be imposed in addition to those provided by this section.