2020 Arkansas Code
Title 17 - Professions, Occupations, and Businesses
Subtitle 2 - Nonmedical Professions
Chapter 27 - Counselors
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 17-27-101. Policy — Purpose
(a) It is declared to be the policy of this state that activities of those persons who render service to the public in the counseling area and use the title “licensed professional counselor”, “licensed associate counselor”, “licensed marriage and family therapist”, or “licensed associate marriage and family therapist” should be regulated for the protection of public health, safety, and welfare.
(b) It is the purpose and intent of this chapter to:
(1) Provide for the regulation of the practice of counseling in the State of Arkansas;
(2) Create a board of examiners in counseling and prescribe the duties and powers of the board;
(3) Provide for the examination and licensure of counselors;
(4) Fix penalties for the violation of this chapter;
(5) Impose reasonable fees for applications, licenses, examinations, and other administrative purposes that the board deems necessary and provide for the use of funds derived from the fees; and
(6) Provide for the regulation of the use of the titles “licensed professional counselor”, “licensed associate counselor”, “licensed marriage and family therapist”, and “licensed associate marriage and family therapist” for those who offer counseling services to the public.