2020 Arkansas Code
Title 11 - Labor and Industrial Relations
Chapter 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subchapter 5 - Accidental Injury or Death
§ 11-9-519. Compensation for disability — Total disability
(a) In case of total disability, there shall be paid to the injured employee during the continuance of the total disability sixty-six and two-thirds percent (66 2/3%) of his or her average weekly wage.
(b) In the absence of clear and convincing proof to the contrary, the loss of both hands, both arms, both legs, both eyes, or of any two (2) thereof shall constitute permanent total disability.
(c) In all other cases, permanent total disability shall be determined in accordance with the facts.
(1) No more often than annually, the carrier or self-insured employer or the Death and Permanent Total Disability Trust Fund may require an injured worker receiving permanent total disability benefits to, as of the date thereof, certify on forms provided by the Workers' Compensation Commission that he or she is permanently and totally disabled and not gainfully employed.
(2) Notice of the requirement shall be made by certified mail.
(3) Failure of the employee to so certify within thirty (30) days after receipt of the notice shall permit the discontinuance of benefits without penalty until otherwise ordered by the commission.
(1) “Permanent total disability” means inability, because of compensable injury or occupational disease, to earn any meaningful wages in the same or other employment.
(2) The burden of proof shall be on the employee to prove inability to earn any meaningful wage in the same or other employment.
(f) In considering a claim for permanent disability, the commission and the courts shall not consider the odd-lot doctrine.
(A) The commission, after a public hearing, shall adopt an impairment rating guide to be used in the assessment of anatomical impairment.
(B) The guide shall not include pain as a basis for impairment.
(2) The impairment rating guide adopted by the commission shall be subject to review by the General Assembly before April 1 of every odd-numbered year beginning with the regular session of 1999.