2019 Arkansas Code
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 3 - Motor Vehicles and Their Equipment
Chapter 37 - Equipment Regulations
Subchapter 4 - Tires
§ 27-37-401. Only Pneumatic Rubber Tires Permitted - Exceptions - Special Permits
(1) The wheels of all motor vehicles, including trailers and semitrailers, shall be equipped with pneumatic rubber tires.
(2) Nonpneumatic or solid rubber tire mountings shall not be permitted.
(b) No person shall operate or move on any highway any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer having any metal tire in contact with the roadway.
(c) No tire on a vehicle moved on a highway shall have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat, spike, or any other protuberances of any material except rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire, with the following exceptions:
(1) It shall be permissible to use farm machinery with tires having protuberances which will not injure the highway;
(2) It shall be permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety; and
(3) It shall be permissible to use metal studded tires as prescribed in § 27-37-402.
(d) The State Highway Commission and local authorities, in their respective jurisdictions and at their discretion, may issue special permits authorizing the operation upon a highway of traction engines or tractors having movable tracks with transverse corrugations upon the periphery of the movable tracks or farm tractors or other farm machinery, the operation of which upon a highway would otherwise be prohibited under this subchapter.