2019 Arkansas Code
Title 16 - Practice, Procedure, and Courts
Subtitle 6 - Criminal Procedure Generally
Chapter 90 - Judgment and Sentence Generally
Subchapter 11 - Rights of Victims of Crime
§ 16-90-1107. Information From Law Enforcement Agencies
(1) After initial contact between a victim or a victim's family and a law enforcement agency responsible for investigating a crime, the law enforcement agency shall promptly give the victim and, if applicable, the victim's family, a preprinted document to be known as “Laura's Card” that clearly states the following:
(A) An explanation of the victim's rights under this subchapter; and
(B) Information concerning the availability of:
(i) Assistance to victims, including medical, housing, counseling, financial, social, legal, and emergency services;
(ii) Compensation for victims under the Arkansas Crime Victims Reparations Act, § 16-90-701 et seq., and the name, street address, and telephone number of the agency to contact;
(iii) Protection of the victim, including protective court orders; and
(iv) Access by the victim and the defendant to public records related to the case.
(2) The law enforcement officer who provides the Laura's Card to a victim is required to provide the law enforcement officer's badge number and contact information on the Laura's Card.
(b) As soon as practicable, the law enforcement agency shall give to the victim, as relevant, the following:
(1) Information as to the suspect's identity, unless inconsistent with law enforcement purposes;
(2) Information as to whether the suspect has been taken into custody, has escaped, or has been released, and any conditions imposed on the release when such information has been made known to the law enforcement agency;
(3) The file number of the case and the name, office address, and office telephone number of a law enforcement officer assigned to investigate the case; and
(4) The prosecuting attorney's name, office address, and office telephone number.
(c) As used in this section, “law enforcement agency” includes without limitation a college or university police department.