2018 Arkansas Code
Title 23 - Public Utilities and Regulated Industries
Subtitle 3 - Insurance
Chapter 92 - Multiple Employer Trusts and Self-Insured Plans
Subchapter 5 - Arkansas Pharmacy Benefits Manager Licensure Act
§ 23-92-506. Compensation -- Prohibited practices
(1) The Insurance Commissioner may review and approve the compensation program of a pharmacy benefits manager with a health benefit plan to ensure that the reimbursement for pharmacist services paid to a pharmacist or pharmacy is fair and reasonable to provide an adequate pharmacy benefits manager network for a health benefit plan under the standards issued by rule of the State Insurance Department.
(2) All information and data acquired during the review under subdivision (a)(1) of this section is:
(A) Considered proprietary and confidential under § 23-61-107(a)(4) and § 23-61-207; and
(B) Not subject to the Freedom of Information Act of 1967, § 25-19-101 et seq.
(b) A pharmacy benefits manager or representative of a pharmacy benefits manager shall not:
(1) Cause or knowingly permit the use of any advertisement, promotion, solicitation, representation, proposal, or offer that is untrue, deceptive, or misleading;
(2) Unless reviewed and approved by the commissioner, charge a pharmacist or pharmacy a fee related to the adjudication of a claim, including without limitation a fee for:
(A) The receipt and processing of a pharmacy claim;
(B) The development or management of claims processing services in a pharmacy benefits manager network; or
(C) Participation in a pharmacy benefits manager network;
(3) Unless reviewed and approved by the commissioner in coordination with the Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy, require pharmacy accreditation standards or certification requirements inconsistent with, more stringent than, or in addition to requirements of the board;
(A) Reimburse a pharmacy or pharmacist in the state an amount less than the amount that the pharmacy benefits manager reimburses a pharmacy benefits manager affiliate for providing the same pharmacist services.
(B) The amount shall be calculated on a per-unit basis using the same generic product identifier or generic code number; or
(5) Do any combination of the actions listed in subdivisions (b)(1)-(4) of this section.
(c) A claim for pharmacist services shall not be retroactively denied or reduced after adjudication of the claim unless:
(1) The original claim was submitted fraudulently;
(2) The original claim payment was incorrect because the pharmacy or pharmacist had already been paid for the pharmacist services; or
(3) The pharmacist services were not properly rendered by the pharmacy or pharmacist.
(d) Termination of a pharmacy or pharmacist from a pharmacy benefits manager network shall not release the pharmacy benefits manager from the obligation to make any payment due to the pharmacy or pharmacist for pharmacist services properly rendered.
(e) The commissioner may issue a rule establishing prohibited practices of pharmacy benefits managers providing claims processing services or other prescription drug or device services for health benefit plans.