2018 Arkansas Code
Title 22 - Public Property
Chapter 5 - State Lands Generally
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 22-5-101. Program for growing pine on highway rights-of-way -- Responsibilities of Arkansas Forestry Commission -- Thinning practices -- Disposition of proceeds

Universal Citation: AR Code § 22-5-101 (2018)
  • (a) The Arkansas Department of Transportation shall determine those state highway rights-of-way that are wider than necessary for highway purposes and those borrow pits, dirt pits, and other highway-related lands owned by the state or the department that could be used to produce pine timber for pulpwood or other uses and shall submit a listing of these areas to the Arkansas Forestry Commission which shall inspect the areas to determine if they are suitable for planting and growing pine.

  • (b) If the department and the Arkansas Forestry Commission determine that there are enough such areas to make it feasible to initiate a program for planting and producing pine thereon, the two agencies shall cooperatively initiate and maintain such program as soon as practicable.

  • (c) When a program authorized by this section is initiated, the Arkansas Forestry Commission shall have the responsibility for all planting and management under the program and for applying appropriate silvicultural practices thereto, including the harvesting and marketing of wood products so produced.

  • (d) If the department determines that traffic safety demands that different thinning practices than those normally applied in the management of such timber are required to accommodate highway safety, the Arkansas Forestry Commission shall make arrangements for thinning of the timber growth along the rights-of-way in the manner and to the extent directed by the State Highway Commission.

  • (e) When a program authorized by this section is initiated, the net proceeds derived from the sale of pine grown on the state highway rights-of-way or other highway-related areas owned by the state or the department shall be deposited into the State Treasury as special revenues. Fifty percent (50%) thereof shall be credited to the State Highway and Transportation Department Fund, and fifty percent (50%) thereof shall be credited to the State Forestry Fund.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.