2018 Arkansas Code
Title 14 - Local Government
Subtitle 16 - Public Health and Welfare Generally
Chapter 262 - Local Health Authorities
§ 14-262-102. City board of health
(a) A city of the first class or city of the second class may establish a city board of health to be constituted as follows:
(1) The mayor of the city may appoint no fewer than five (5) persons, two (2) of whom shall be physicians who shall be graduates of reputable medical colleges and of good professional standing, who shall constitute a city board of health, and who shall have and exercise the powers conferred upon those boards by law and by the ordinances of the city; and
(2) The mayor of the city shall be an ex officio member of the board.
(1) The city council shall have the power to establish a board of health.
(2) The board shall have jurisdiction for one (1) mile beyond the city limits, and for quarantine purposes, in cases of epidemic, five (5) miles.
(c) The city council shall have power to invest the board with such powers and impose upon it such duties as shall be necessary to:
(1) Secure the city and its inhabitants from the evils of contagious, malignant, and infectious diseases;
(2) Provide for its proper organization and the election or appointment of the necessary officers; and
(3) Make such bylaws, rules, and regulations for its government and support as shall be required for enforcing the prompt and efficient performance of its duties and the lawful exercise of its powers.