2017 Arkansas Code
Title 9 - Family Law
Subtitle 2 - Domestic Relations
Chapter 10 - Paternity
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 9-10-113. Custody of child born outside of marriage
- (a) When a child is born to an unmarried woman, legal custody of that child shall be in the woman giving birth to the child until the child reaches eighteen (18) years of age unless a court of competent jurisdiction enters an order placing the child in the custody of another party.
- (b) A biological father, provided he has established paternity in a court of competent jurisdiction, may petition the circuit court in the county where the child resides for custody of the child.
- (c) The court may award custody to the biological father upon a showing that:
- (1) He is a fit parent to raise the child;
- (2) He has assumed his responsibilities toward the child by providing care, supervision, protection, and financial support for the child; and
- (3) It is in the best interest of the child to award custody to the biological father.
- (d) When in the best interest of a child, visitation shall be awarded in a way that assures the frequent and continuing contact of the child with the mother and the biological father.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.