2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 21 - School Property and Supplies
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 6-21-101. Authority to permit use of public school buildings for community purposes
- (a) The General Assembly finds that the use of a public school facility under this section:
- (1) Promotes the education, health, and well-being of the communities where schools are located; and
- (2) Is an intended purpose for the use of school property under Arkansas Constitution, Article 14, § 2.
- (b) (1) The board of directors of a school district may permit members of the community to use land or public school facilities owned or operated by the school district for a community purpose, including without limitation:
- (A) A social event;
- (B) A civic event;
- (C) Recreation;
- (D) Health and wellness activities; and
- (E) A lawful meeting of the citizens of the community.
- (2) Community activities permitted at school facilities or on school land shall not interfere with an instructional day at the school where the community activities are held.
- (c) To offset the cost of community use of school land or a public school facility, a school district may:
- (1) Charge a fee;
- (2) Accept gifts, grants, and donations from private sources, from municipal and county governments, from the state, and from the federal government; or
- (3) Enter into a joint use agreement with a public agency, public entity, private entity, or nonprofit organization for shared use and responsibility of the school land or public school facility.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.