2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 18 - Students
Subchapter 5 - Discipline
§ 6-18-503. Written student discipline policies required
- (a) (1) (A) Each school district in this state shall develop written student discipline policies in compliance with the guidelines established by the Department of Education and shall file such policies with the department.
- (B) Guidelines shall include minimum standards of quality, experimentation with innovative programs, and a system to judge the effectiveness of the program.
- (C) The discipline policy shall include provisions for:
- (i) Placement of a student with disciplinary, socially dysfunctional, or behavioral problems not associated with a handicapping condition in an alternative learning environment provided by the district; and
- (a) Expulsion from school for a period of not less than one (1) year for possession of any firearm or other weapon prohibited upon the school campus by law.
- (b) Provided, however, that the superintendent shall have discretion to modify such expulsion requirement for a student on a case-by-case basis.
- (2) Behavioral problems shall include those at risk of not satisfactorily completing a high school education.
- (1) A school district that authorizes use of corporal punishment in its discipline policy shall include provisions for administration of the punishment, including that it be administered only for cause, be reasonable, follow warnings that the misbehavior will not be tolerated, and be administered by a teacher or a school administrator and only in the presence of a school administrator or his or her designee, who shall be a teacher or an administrator employed by the school district.
- (2) As used in this section, "teachers and administrators" means those persons employed by a school district and required to have a state-issued educator license as a condition of their employment.
- (1) A school district shall include in its student discipline policies a provision prohibiting students from wearing, while on the grounds of a public school during the regular school day and at school-sponsored activities and events, clothing that exposes underwear, buttocks, or the breast of a female.
- (2) Subdivision (c)(1) of this section shall not apply to a costume or uniform worn by a student while participating in a school-sponsored activity or event.
- (3) A school district shall specify in its student discipline policies the disciplinary actions that will be taken against a student for a violation of subdivision (c)(1) of this section.
- (4) Subdivision (c)(1) of this section shall not be enforced in a manner that discriminates against a student on the basis of his or her race, color, religion, sex, disability, or national origin.
- (d) Any amendments or revisions to a school district's student discipline policies shall be developed and adopted in the same manner as the original policies required by § 6-18-502 and shall be consistent with the guidelines established by the department.
- (e) Any amendment or revision to the student discipline policies adopted by a school district shall be submitted to the department within thirty (30) days after the adoption of such amendment or revision.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.