2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 17 - Personnel
Subchapter 15 - The Teacher Fair Dismissal Act
§ 6-17-1506. Contract renewal -- Notice of nonrenewal -- Rescission
- (a) Every contract of employment made between a teacher and the board of directors of a school district shall be renewed in writing on the same terms and for the same salary, unless increased or decreased by law, for the next school year succeeding the date of termination fixed therein, which renewal may be made by an endorsement on the existing contract instrument unless:
- (1) By May 1 of the contract year, the teacher is notified by the school superintendent that the superintendent is recommending that the teacher's contract not be renewed;
- (2) During the period of the contract or within ten (10) calendar days after the end of the school year, the teacher shall send by certified or registered mail to the president, vice president, or secretary of the board of directors of the school district, with a copy to the superintendent, or may deliver in person to the president, vice president, or secretary of the board of directors of the school district, with a copy to the superintendent, his or her resignation as a teacher; or
- (3) The contract is superseded by another contract between the parties.
- (1) Termination, nonrenewal, or suspension shall be only upon the recommendation of the superintendent.
- (A) A notice of nonrenewal shall be delivered in person to the teacher or mailed by registered or certified mail to the teacher at the teacher's residence address as reflected in the teacher's personnel file.
- (B) The notice of recommended nonrenewal of a teacher shall include a statement of the reasons for the recommendation, setting forth the reasons in separately numbered paragraphs so that a reasonable teacher can prepare a defense.
- (1) No teacher shall be required to sign and return a contract for the next school year any sooner than thirty (30) days after the contract is issued to the teacher.
- (2) The teacher shall have the right to unilaterally rescind any signed contract no later than ten (10) days after the end of the school year.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.