There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 17 - Personnel
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 6-17-107. Reporting student drug abuse -- Provision of counseling, referrals, medical care, or other assistance to suicidal youths -- Immunity from liability
Universal Citation: AR Code § 6-17-107 (2017)
- (a) Teachers and other school personnel in this state shall be immune from liability and suit for damages for communicating information in good faith concerning drug abuse by any pupil to that pupil's parents, to law enforcement officers, or to health care providers.
- (1) Teachers, school counselors, school health care providers, and other school personnel shall be immune from any civil liability for providing counseling, referral, emergency medical care, or other assistance offered in good faith to suicidal students or other suicidal youth.
- (2) "Suicidal" refers to a person who poses a substantial risk of physical harm to himself or herself as manifested by evidence of, threats of, or attempts at suicide or self-inflicted bodily harm or by evidence of other behavior or thoughts that create a grave and imminent risk to his or her physical condition.
- (c) This section shall not preclude liability for civil damages where the individual negligently performs professional counseling or nursing services which he or she is licensed under state law to perform.
- (d) This section shall not preclude liability for civil damages as the result of gross negligence.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.