2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 16 - Curriculum
Subchapter 10 - Health Education
§ 6-16-1004. Dating violence awareness
- (a) Annually, in either the month of October for a one-semester course taught in the fall or the month of February for a one-semester course taught in the spring, a unit on dating violence awareness shall be taught as a component of a health course offered in grades seven through twelve (7-12).
- (b) A unit on dating violence awareness shall:
- (1) Focus on healthy relationships, including the characteristics of healthy relationships;
- (2) Teach students the definition of dating violence and abuse, including without limitation:
- (A) Warning signs of dating violence and abusive behavior; and
- (B) Measures to stop or prevent dating violence and abusive behavior;
- (3) Inform students about resources and reporting procedures for dating violence or abuse; and
- (4) Examine the common misconceptions and stereotypes about dating violence and abuse.
- (1) Materials used to teach a unit in dating violence awareness shall be age appropriate.
- (2) Information provided shall be objective and based on scientific research that is peer-reviewed and accepted by professionals and credentialed experts in the field of health education.
- (d) The Department of Education shall annually provide a list of source materials available for school districts to use to teach a unit on dating violence awareness, including without limitation materials from:
- (1) The Arkansas Coalition Against Domestic Violence;
- (2) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
- (3) The National Domestic Violence Hotline;
- (4) The National Institutes of Health; and
- (5) Other sources of scientifically based research that are peer-reviewed.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.