There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 16 - Curriculum
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 6-16-149. United States citizenship civics test
Universal Citation: AR Code § 6-16-149 (2017)
- (a) (1) Beginning in the 2018-2019 school year, in order to receive a high school diploma from a public school or a high school equivalency diploma from a state entity, a student shall:
- (A) Take a test that is identical to the civics portion of the naturalization test used by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services; and
- (B) Correctly answer at least sixty (60) of the one hundred (100) test questions.
- (2) A student may retake the test as many times as necessary to achieve a passing score.
- (b) The State Board of Education shall determine the method and manner by which to administer a test that is identical to the civics portion of the naturalization test used by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- (c) The requirement under subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to a student who:
- (1) Is exempted in accordance with the student's individualized education program;
- (2) Attends school in the Corrections School System under § 12-29-301 et seq.; or
- (3) Is over eighteen (18) years of age and seeking a high school equivalency diploma.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.