There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 16 - Curriculum
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 6-16-130. Visual art or music
Universal Citation: AR Code § 6-16-130 (2017)
- (1) A public elementary school in the state shall provide instruction for at least forty (40) minutes, as determined by the superintendent of the school district, in visual art and at least forty (40) minutes, as determined by the superintendent of the school district, in music based on the state visual art and music frameworks each calendar week of the school year or an equivalent amount of time in each school year.
- (A) Every student in grades one through six (1-6) shall participate in the visual art and music class required in this subsection.
- (B) Children with disabilities or other special needs shall be included in the visual art and music programs.
- (3) The instruction required by subdivision (a)(1) of this section shall be provided by a teacher licensed to teach art or music, as applicable.
- (A) The Department of Education shall provide a stipend of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) per class to each school for the purchase of necessary supplies or equipment for the classes required by this subsection.
- (B) Subdivision (a)(4)(A) of this section shall be contingent on the appropriation and availability of funding for that purpose.
- (b) A student enrolled in grade seven (7) or grade eight (8) shall participate in:
- (1) Visual arts instruction, appreciation, and application; or
- (2) Performing arts instruction, appreciation, and application.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.