There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 16 - Curriculum
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 6-16-124. Arkansas history -- Required social studies course
Universal Citation: AR Code § 6-16-124 (2017)
- (1) A unit of Arkansas history shall be taught as a social studies subject at each elementary grade level in every public elementary school in this state, with greater emphasis at the fourth and fifth grade levels.
- (2) At least one (1) full semester of Arkansas history shall be taught to all students at the seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grade level in every public secondary school in this state.
- (1) Course guidelines shall ensure that the courses represent the most accurate and historically sound account of the prehistory, history, and culture of Arkansas, including the significant contributions and achievements of all segments of the population.
- (2) Any revisions in the Arkansas history course content guidelines shall be reported to the public schools and the House Committee on Education and the Senate Committee on Education no later than July 1 of the year the course guidelines are to be implemented.
- (A) The Department of Education shall, in advance of the 2018-2019 school year, develop materials or units relating to Arkansas and the American Civil War.
- (B) The emphasis of the curriculum under this subdivision (b)(3) shall be placed upon civilian and military leadership during the period and how the lessons of that era can inform contemporary society.
- (C) The course content under this subdivision (b)(3) is not exempt from the reporting requirements under subdivision (b)(2) of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.