There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 16 - Curriculum
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 6-16-122. American heritage
Universal Citation: AR Code § 6-16-122 (2017)
- (a) Local school district boards of directors shall allow any teacher or administrator in a public school district of this state to read or post in a public school building, classroom, or event any excerpts or portions of:
- (1) The Preamble to the Arkansas Constitution;
- (2) The Declaration of Independence;
- (3) The United States Constitution;
- (4) The Mayflower Compact;
- (5) The national motto;
- (6) The national anthem;
- (7) The Pledge of Allegiance;
- (8) The writings, speeches, documents, and proclamations of the founding fathers and Presidents of the United States;
- (9) Organic documents from the pre-Colonial, Colonial, Revolutionary, Federalist, and post-Federalist eras;
- (10) United States Supreme Court decisions; and
- (11) Acts of the United States Congress.
- (b) There shall be no content-based censorship of American history or heritage in this state based on religious or other references in these writings, documents, and records.
- (c) A copy of this section shall be distributed to the superintendent of each school district in the state by the Department of Education, whereupon the superintendents then shall provide a copy to each teacher and each school district board member.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.