There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Arkansas Code
Title 6 - Education
Subtitle 2 - Elementary and Secondary Education Generally
Chapter 16 - Curriculum
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 6-16-108. Recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance
Universal Citation: AR Code § 6-16-108 (2017)
- (a) The State Board of Education shall adopt a policy to require that public school students in grades kindergarten through twelve (K-12) participate in a daily recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance during the first class of each school day.
- (b) The policy shall:
- (1) Require that at the time designated for the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance students shall stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance while facing the flag with their right hands over their hearts or in an appropriate salute if in uniform;
- (A) Provide that no student shall be compelled to recite the Pledge of Allegiance if the student or the student's parent or legal guardian objects to the student's participating in the exercise on religious, philosophical, or other grounds.
- (B) Students who are exempt from reciting the Pledge of Allegiance under subdivision (b)(2)(A) of this section shall be required to remain quietly standing or sitting at their desks while others recite the Pledge of Allegiance;
- (A) Provide that teachers or other school staff who have religious, philosophical, or other grounds for objecting are exempt from leading or participating in the exercise.
- (B) If a teacher chooses not to lead the Pledge of Allegiance, the policy shall require that another suitable person shall be designated either by the teacher or principal to lead the class; and
- (4) Require the school to provide appropriate accommodations for students, teachers, or other staff who are unable to comply with the procedures described in this section due to disability.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.