2017 Arkansas Code
Title 5 - Criminal Offenses
Subtitle 6 - Offenses Against Public Health, Safety, or Welfare
Chapter 62 - Animals
Subchapter 1 - General Provisions
§ 5-62-124. Unlawful bear exploitation
- (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful bear exploitation if he or she knowingly:
- (1) Promotes, engages in, or is employed at a bear wrestling match;
- (2) Receives money for the admission of another person to a place kept for bear wrestling;
- (3) Sells, purchases, possesses, or trains a bear for bear wrestling; or
- (4) For purposes of exploitation, subjects a bear to surgical alteration in any form, including, but not limited to, declawing, tooth removal, and severing tendons.
- (b) Unlawful bear exploitation is a Class D felony.
- (c) Upon the arrest of any person for violating a provision of this section, the arresting law enforcement officer or animal control officer may seize and take custody of any bear in the possession of the arrested person.
- (1) Upon the conviction of any person for violating a provision of this section, any court of competent jurisdiction may order the forfeiture by the convicted person of any bear the use of which was the basis of the conviction.
- (2) Any bear ordered forfeited under a provision of this section shall be placed in the custody of a society which is incorporated for the prevention of cruelty to animals.
- (e) In addition to the fines, penalties, and forfeitures imposed under a provision of this section, the court may require the defendant to make restitution to the state, any of its political subdivisions, or a society which is incorporated for the prevention of cruelty to animals for housing, feeding, or providing medical treatment to a bear used for unlawful wrestling.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.