2017 Arkansas Code
Title 5 - Criminal Offenses
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
Chapter 4 - Disposition of Offenders
Subchapter 7 - Enhanced Penalties for Certain Offenses
§ 5-4-704. Sentence enhancement for offense targeting current or former law enforcement officer, first responder, or family member of current or former law enforcement officer or first responder
- (a) A person is subject to an enhanced sentence under this section if the person purposely selected the victim of an offense committed by the person because the victim is:
- (1) Currently employed or was formerly employed as a law enforcement officer or first responder; or
- (2) A family member of a current or former law enforcement officer or first responder.
- (b) If a sentence enhancement is sought under this section, the information or indictment shall include:
- (1) That the sentence enhancement under this section is being sought; and
- (2) The allegations supporting the imposition of the enhanced sentence under this section.
- (c) The sentence enhancement under this section is as follows:
- (1) If the person is convicted of a Class A misdemeanor or an unclassified misdemeanor with a possible sentence greater than ninety (90) days' imprisonment, an additional period of imprisonment of not more than one (1) year;
- (2) If the person is convicted of a Class C felony, Class D felony, or an unclassified felony, an additional period of imprisonment of at least six (6) months but no more than two (2) years; and
- (3) If the person is convicted of a Class Y felony, Class A felony, or Class B felony, an additional period of imprisonment of at least two (2) years but no more than ten (10) years.
- (d) The sentence enhancement under this section is not applicable if:
- (1) The victim of the offense is a law enforcement officer or first responder; and
- (2) An element of the underlying offense is that the victim is a law enforcement officer or first responder.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.