2017 Arkansas Code
Title 3 - Alcoholic Beverages
Chapter 8 - Local Option
Subchapter 8 - Circulation of Petition for Local Option Election
§ 3-8-806. Form of initiative petition -- Sufficiency of signatures
- (a) The petition for an ordinance, act, or amendment proposed by initiative shall be on substantially the following form:
"PETITION FOR LOCAL OPTION ELECTION
To the Honorable_________________,
County Clerk or City Clerk
We, the undersigned registered voters of the State of Arkansas, or ___________________ County, Arkansas, or City or Incorporated Town of ___________________, Arkansas, respectfully request that an election be held to determine whether licenses will be granted for the manufacture or sale or the bartering, loaning, or giving away of intoxicating liquor in the district described below, to the end that the same may be adopted, enacted, or rejected by the vote of the registered voters of said district. Each of us for himself or herself says:
I have personally signed this petition; I am a registered voter of ___________________ County, Arkansas, or City or Incorporated Town of ___________________, Arkansas, and my printed name, date of birth, residence, city or town of residence, and date of signing this petition are correctly written after my signature.
(Here insert a description of the district in which the election shall be held.)"
- (b) The information on the petition provided by the person may be used as evidence of the validity or invalidity of the signature. However, if a signature of a registered voter on the petition is sufficient to verify the voter's name, then it shall not be adjudged invalid for failure to sign the name or write the residence and city or town of residence exactly as it appears on voter registration records, for failure to print the name in the space provided, for failure to provide the correct date of birth, nor for failure to provide the correct date of signing the petition, all the information being an aid to verification rather than a mandatory requirement to perfect the validity of the signature.
- (c) No additional sheets of voter signatures shall be attached to any petition unless the sheets contain the full language of the petition.
- (1) The signature section of the petition shall be formatted and shall contain the number of signature lines prescribed by the county clerk.
- (2) Before the circulation of a petition for signatures, the sponsor shall file a printed petition part with the county clerk in the exact form that will be used for obtaining signatures.