2017 Arkansas Code
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 4 - Motor Vehicular Traffic
Chapter 51 - Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road
Subchapter 3 - Driving, Overtaking, and Passing
§ 27-51-301. Vehicles to be driven on right side of roadway -- Exceptions
- (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall not be driven upon the left half of the roadway, except as follows:
- (1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing that movement;
- (2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair;
- (3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon;
- (4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic;
- (5) When the right half of the roadway is in disrepair or is in an otherwise undrivable or unsafe condition; or
- (6) When a vehicle is preparing to exit the roadway on the left.
- (b) Motor vehicles shall not be operated continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway whenever it impedes the flow of other traffic.
- (1) The Arkansas Department of Transportation may designate certain multilane highways or portions of multilane highways as prohibiting continuous driving in the left lane except in those instances described in subsection (a) of this section.
- (2) For those multilane highways or portions of multilane highways described in subdivision (c)(1) of this section and designated by the department, the department shall erect periodic signs along the multilane highway or portion of the multilane highway that notify the public of the prohibition.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.