2017 Arkansas Code
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 4 - Motor Vehicular Traffic
Chapter 51 - Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road
Subchapter 15 - Paul's Law: To Prohibit Drivers From Using a Wireless Communications Device While Operating a Motor Vehicle
§ 27-51-1504. Use of wireless telecommunications device when driving
- (a) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b) of this section, a driver of a motor vehicle shall not operate a motor vehicle while using a wireless telecommunications device to:
- (A) Write, send, or read a text-based communication; or
- (B) Access, read, or post to a social networking site.
- (2) A driver of a motor vehicle is not in violation of subdivision (a)(1) of this section if he or she reads, selects, or enters a telephone number or name in a wireless telecommunications device for the purpose of making a telephone call.
- (b) A person is exempt from the requirements of this section if he or she is:
- (1) Performing official duties as a certified law enforcement officer, firefighter, ambulance driver, or emergency medical technician;
- (2) Operating a motor vehicle while using a wireless telecommunications device to:
- (A) Report illegal activity;
- (B) Summon medical or other emergency assistance;
- (C) Prevent injury to a person or property;
- (D) Relay information between a transit or for-hire operator dispatcher, if the wireless telecommunications device is permanently affixed to the motor vehicle; or
- (E) Navigate using a global positioning system; or
- (3) A physician or healthcare provider using a wireless telecommunications device to communicate with a hospital, health clinic, or the office of the physician, or to provide for the health care or medical emergency of a person.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.