2017 Arkansas Code
Title 20 - Public Health and Welfare
Subtitle 2 - Health and Safety
Chapter 19 - Animals
Subchapter 6 - Nonhuman Primates
§ 20-19-604. Prior possession
- A person eighteen (18) years of age or older may continue to lawfully possess a primate, including an ape, macaque, or baboon, if within one hundred eighty (180) days after August 16, 2013, the primate, including an ape, macaque, or baboon, is registered under § 20-19-605 and if:
- (1) The person maintains veterinary records, acquisition papers, or other documents or records that establish that the person possessed the primate, including an ape, macaque, or baboon, before August 16, 2013;
- (2) The person does not acquire an ape, macaque, or baboon after August 16, 2013, by purchase, trade, or breeding;
- (3) The person has not pleaded guilty or nolo contendere to or been found guilty of an offense involving the abuse or neglect of an animal under a state, local, or federal law;
- (4) The person is not subject to a court order requiring the forfeiture of a primate;
- (5) The person has not had a license or permit regarding the care, possession, exhibition, breeding, or sale of an animal revoked or suspended for more than six (6) months by a state, local, or federal authority;
- (6) The facility and the conditions in which each primate is kept comply with this subchapter;
- (7) The person does not bring a primate to a commercial or retail establishment, unless it is owned or rented by the registered primate owner, or is a licensed veterinarian's office, an educational facility, a facility rented for the sole purpose of education, or a hotel or motel where the primate would not have direct contact with the public; or
- (8) The person has an identification number placed in the primate via subcutaneous microchip, at the expense of the owner, unless a veterinarian determines the implantation would be harmful to the primate's well-being.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.